As some of you probably know, I am currently serving 6 weeks as an intern for 2 separate literary publishing businesses in NYC. It’s day two now, and in the office lull I’ve had some time to mull over some things I’ve picked up on here so far…
1. When packing for an internship in the summer in the city, it may behoove you to remember that it is, in fact, not only sunny in the summer, but also sometimes rainy. In the case of a mid-morning monsoon on the way to work, you will probably appreciate some sort of boot or rain jacket, lest you are left soaking wet and wringing Niagra Falls from your dress the first day at your new internship.
2. Pay attention to everything. If you, like me, are a little…”navigationally challenged,” it will be immensely helpful to study your surroundings your first couple of trips into work, so that in the future you can manage the trip by yourself efficiently.
3. If at all possible, have a cute dog. No, seriously. Gets you some major headway in the office if you are friendly with the boss’ dog…
4. If someone brings in free cookies, EAT THEM! This should be a no-brainer, but honestly, if you have been told you are entitled to the kitchen, take advantage of that! You’re broke, and let’s be honest…if you’re working a publishing internship, chances are that shit ain’t paid.
5. Take advantage of free time. In the rare instance you have a moment to spare, take a second to grab some lunch, breathe, and do something you like, such as read or listen to music or update your blog you’re way too addicted to.
That’s all for now really, but I’ll be posting more about my NY adventures soon if you care to peruse!